We are proud to announce that we are a Registered Brand User of Argentium Silver!

But what IS Argentium silver, and how is it different from traditional sterling??

Traditional sterling silver contains 92.5% pure silver (this is where the “.925” comes from), with the remaining 7.5% being copper.  If sterling tarnishes, it’s the copper content that causes the oxidation.  The Argentium silver we use, on the other hand, contains 93.5% pure silver, and some of the copper has been replaced by a metal called germanium.

This results in a highly-tarnish-resistant metal that is brighter and whiter than platinum, white gold and traditional sterling, with a longer-lasting shine.  Argentium is hypoallergenic and antibacterial, making it a perfect choice for for people with metal sensitivities.

“Argentium Silver is brighter and whiter than platinum, white gold and traditional sterling, with a longer-lasting shine.”

Argentium Silver Double Link Bracelet Windsong Jewellery Design

Argentium Silver Double Link Bracelet

Jewellery & Photography by Anastasia Olson

Argentium was invented by Master Silversmith, Peter Johns, in London UK.  He developed this new alloy while researching how to eliminate firestain in traditional sterling silver.  “Firestain” is caused when oxygen in the air penetrates the outer surface of the metal, oxidizing the copper content of the sterling silver.  It is seen as a dark, purple-grey discoloration, and is very difficult to remove, as it penetrates deep within the metal.  Because the Argentium alloy uses less copper, firestain is less likely to be produced during the forging process of a piece of jewellery.

“…The one property that everybody wants with silver of course is to stop it tarnishing.  And tarnish as you know has been the big problem with sterling silver – people don’t like cleaning their silver.  And, we found that we got tarnish-resistance in the alloy.”

~ Peter Johns

Argentium Silver Raindrop Earrings Timeless

Argentium Silver Raindrop Earrings

Jewellery & Photography by Anastasia Olson

Argentium Silver Facts:

Brighter than platinum, white gold and traditional sterling silver
Longer lasting shine means low maintenance
Environmentally responsible, as it is produced using only recycled silver

For more information, check out the official Argentium Silver website.

Argentium Silver Asymmetrical Necklace

Argentium Silver Jewellery

Jewellery & Photography by Anastasia Olson

Argentium Silver Crescent Moon Earrings Windsong Jewellery Design
Argentium Silver Hammer-Textured Link Necklace
Argentium Silver Brand Info Windsong Jewellery Design

Want to receive advance notice of awesome new stuff?
Become a Windsong VIP!

Windsong Jewellery Design Logo

Become a Windsong VIP

Welcome to the World of Windsong:

Your new destination for elegant, timeless treasures
to help you discover your inner BOLD.

FIND YOUR EXTRAORDINARY.

Join the VIP List to gain exclusive access to:
new design previews
exclusive offers
latest studio news

Welcome to Windsong VIP!